Saturday, May 1, 2010

I love the colour grey. Yousuf Kharsh, when asked why all his photographs are black and white, though colour films were available, said," its not black and white, its grey." Its the most powerful colour as I believe. it can puncuate almost any figure. it can add an ostentatious air, a mysterious one, a vile one. it can make things look transparent, it can make them opaque. A person with slightly negative qualities or behaviour is said to have grey shades.


Black is complete, but grey is the part that gives life to the otherwise pitch black. Its not just a shade, its a clour. The colour of emotions, of negativity, of stoic natures, of the tempest in the uprisal. Its deeper shades, in harmony with the lighter shades, gives the feel of agony, of a battle in process. Of a climax that is round the corner.

Its the colour of the nimbus clouds...reminding me of rains. sending me to the nostalgia of the previous monsoons...giving me the feel of damp earth, cool breezes, strong, cold winds, newly washed greens of the leaves after rains. The colour reminding me of the different emotions that infest the human soul independently, and in blends.

Its grey....not black, not white.
Its my favourite colour.

No comments: